TYPE: Residential/ Mixed Use
LOCATION: Brussels, Belgium
YEAR: 1922 – 1927
SIZE: 70 646 m²
ARCHITECTS: Les Architectes Polak
CLIENT: Council of the European Union
Residence Palace now named “The Europa building”, is the seat of the European Council and Council of the European Union, located on Wetstraat/Rue de la Loi in the European Quarter of Brussels, the capital city of Belgium. Its defining feature is the multi-story “lantern-shaped” construct holding the main meeting rooms; a representation of which has been adopted by both the European Council and Council of the EU as their official emblems. The Europa building is situated on the former site of the partially demolished and renovated Bloc A of the Résidence Palace. Its exterior combines the listed Art Deco façade of the original 1920s building with the contemporary design of architect Philippe Samyn. The building is linked via two skyways and a service tunnel to the adjacent Justus Lipsius building, which provides for additional office space, meeting rooms and press facilities.